If there's one thing I've learned about myself it is this: I am always rushing. By nature I am a morning person, and wake up anywhere between 3:40 am (If I teach a 5 am class) and 4:30 am M-F to start my day. With that said, I am always rushing in the morning. I typically grab multiple pieces of fruit, and eat it on the go. Feeling like I need something more substantial that is still nutritious I decided to experiment in the kitchen. I found a recipe for an acai bowl, and gave it my quick fix spin.
I prepare the acai base by blending a Sabazon packet (got these at Costco, and I love the small packets!), almond milk, frozen strawberries, and a banana in a blender (I also like to add flaxseed). Once blended you pour the base in the mason jars, and freeze overnight. One packet makes me three jars. On a day you want to eat your acai bowl, place the jar in the fridge over night to thaw, and cut up fruit topping the night before. When you wake up take your jar, throw the toppings in, and BAM... yummy acai bowl in the belly in less than 10 seconds. Did I mention that this is low fat, and extremely nutritious?
Yummy facts about acai. Did you know:
The acai berry is filled with fiber, antioxidants, and strengthens our immune system.
This berry is full of essential fatty acids, and amino acids.
Helps digestive and cardiovascular health.
Lets talk recipe
- Acai (I used the Sabazon packets)
- Frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup almond milk
Toppings (Pick your favorites)
- Slivered almonds
- Chia Seeds
- Black Berry
1. Blend frozen strawberries, acai, banana, and almond milk together in a blender.
2. Divide the mixture between jars, and freeze overnight.
3. On the night before you want to eat an acai bowl for breakfast, place the jar overnight in the fridge to defrost, and have fruit precut for the morning.
4. In the morning place the fruit in your defrosted acai mixture, and eat away.
Yum Yums in my tum tums!
Who knew eating healthy could be so fast and easy ;)